School Liaison

NAS Fallon's School Liaison Officer is available to assist service members and their families with school-related questions at Fleet and Family Support Center, Building 309, NAS Fallon. Please call 775-426-3332 or 775-240-4160 to schedule an appointment.

The School Liaison Officer’s primary function is to serve as a conduit between parents, educators and the command so that military-connected children experience a seamless transition during the transfer between schools. Most military children move up to nine times in their PreK-12th grade years and consistency and retention of educational goals is a major focus for families when planning to PCS. They facilitate communication between the military family and the Command staff on matters relating to regional public and private schools as well as home schools and alternative modes of education such as charter schools, online education and independent study.

The School Liaison Officer coordinates services for military children and their parents with internal organizations including but not limited to all Fleet and Family Support Programs (FFSP), Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP), Child and Youth Program (CYP) activities. The School Liaison Officer coordinates services for military children and their parents with external organizations including but not limited to the Armed Services YMCA, Healthy Start Military Family Cluster, and Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society. They also serve as a subject matter expert in education-related issues such as the Interstate Compact for Military Children Department of Education, Colleges and Vocational schools, local school districts, education related organizations and financial aid institutions.

Please see Core Services for specific school related supports available.

The School Liaisons can:

  • Answer questions about school enrollment options
  • Provide information about local schools and boundaries
  • Assist with inbound/outbound school transfers
  • Help you understand and navigate the special education process
  • Provide resources for college readiness
  • Assist with agency referrals

...And much more!

Facility Contact Information
School Liaison Officer Base: Naval Air Station Fallon
Location: Child & Youth Programs
Hours: By Appointment
Cell: 775-240-4160
Fax: 775-426-3340

  • Services

    We can provide military families, educators, and installation commanders with resources as they work together in providing a supportive and positive educational environment for children of military families. The following are ways that the School Liaison Officer is able to assist you and your family:

    • School Transition Services (PCS Cycle): School Liaison Officers assist families with school transfers and help “level the playing field” for military children and youth.
    • Deployment Support: School Liaison Officers connect educators with the Navy deployment support system to inform them about the cycles of deployment and the tools available to assist educators in working with Navy children.
    • Command, School, Community Communications: School Liaison Officers serve as subject-matter experts for installation commanders on K-12 issues, helping to connect command, school and community resources.
    • Home School Linkage and Support: School Liaison Officers assist Navy families by gathering and sharing information on home schooling issues, policies and legislation from local school districts. They also help leverage Navy Child and Youth Programs resources to support these families.
    • Partnerships in Education (PIE): PIE creates a volunteer network of resources to support installation and community members who have a vested interest in the success of all youth.
    • Post-Secondary Preparations: School Liaison Officers leverage installation and school resources to provide graduating military students with access to post-secondary information and opportunities.
    • Special Needs System Navigation: School Liaison Officers provide information about installation and community programs and services, make referrals to the Exceptional Family Member Program, and offer assistance in navigating the administrative systems within local education agencies.


    Through a combined effort, military families and school districts provide the best educational environment for military students in grades K-12. To provide military families with conflict resolution or avoidance of the unique challenges that occur when families transition from one duty station to another during the course of a military career.


    Our efforts will make the difference in developing our youth for attaining and achieving academic progression throughout the educational process.

  • Academic Anchor

    Academic AnchorAcademic Anchor is Navy Region Southwest's bimonthly School Liaison Newsletter. It addresses educational issues that affect military children in our region and provides information about upcoming events.

  • How to Ensure a Smooth Move

    Visit the MilitaryHOMEFRONT Moving Homepage for information on your gaining installation and surrounding communities. You can also subscribe to the MilitaryHOMEFRONT Newsletters, which will be delivered to your email inbox. You will also have access to a variety of information, including:

    • MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, which provides information about the programs, services, and maps for military installations worldwide.
    • PlanMyMove, which gives you customized moving tools, such as timelines, calendars and checklists.

    Both MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and PlanMyMove will connect you to reliable sources of information about programs and services outside the gate. Visit NAS Fallon’s Fleet & Family Support Center for additional relocation information.

  • Information on Local Fallon Schools

    Homeschooling Additional Information

    Additional Homeschooling Resources

    Youth Sponsorship Information

    Moving to the area and have a youth transferring with you? Connect them with a youth sponsor to help make the move easier. Contact your NAS Fallon SLO at 775-240-4160 to get your child/teen started today!
    Youth Sponsors can:

    • talk about the location, schools, sports, events, shopping, library and more.
    • relate to moving.
    • build a new peer relationship to help ease the first week of school.
    • discuss class options.
    • answer questions your child might not want to bother you with like, "Do they watch anime there?", "Will my clothes be in style?", "Do they have lacrosse?", "What type of things are there to do?"

  • Organizations Devoted to the Military Family Are you a service provider looking for a program or service across all installations? Simply select the program or service and then choose any installation or enter any zip code. A downloadable directory for all installations will be available on the results page.

    DoDEA: The Department of Defense Educational Activity instructional program provides a comprehensive pre-kindergarten through 12th grade curriculum overseas and at select locations in the continental U.S.

    Military Youth on the Move: A website to help kids learn about new duty station Includes school finder based on state or military installation, blog, library, state education resources and “Ask Aunt Peggie”.

    Plan My Move: Installation specific information to help families PCS.

    Military Homefront is the Department of Defense website for official Military Community and Family Policy (MC&FP) program information, policy and guidance designed to help troops and their families, leaders, and service providers.

    MCEC The Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC®)'s work is focused on ensuring quality educational opportunities for all military children affected by mobility, family separation, and transition. MCEC School Quest is a school finder.

    National Military Family Association: Founded 43 years ago, the National Military Family Association is the leading non-profit organization focusing on issues important to military families.

    Fleet & Family Readiness Support Programs and Fleet and Family Support Center: Information on installations in Navy Region Southwest and the many services provided for military families.

    MISA: Military Impacted Schools Association is a national organization of school superintendents. Our mission is to serve school districts with a high concentration of military children.

    Interstate Compact for Military Children has been signed by the state of California and addresses the key issues of Eligibility, Enrollment, Placement and Graduation encountered by military families. Roll out has taken place in some districts in Metro San Diego and is pending in others. Contact your School Liaison for more information.

    Special Needs Resources Instantly locate proven strategies, helpful tools, special education law, federal statutes/regulations and more - with the online solution thousands of your colleagues already rely on. Username: navysand; password: navystaff

    Navy EFMP: Exceptional Family Member Program. Visit us on Facebook for San Diego region wide questions.

    TASK: Team of Advocates for Special Kids is a nonprofit charitable organization whose mission is to enable individuals with disabilities to reach their maximum potential by providing them, their families and the professionals who serve them with training, support, information, resources and referrals, and by providing community awareness programs.

    PACER: With over 30 different projects, the Parent Advocacy Coalition for Educational Rights provides individual assistance, workshops, publications, and other resources to help families make decisions about education and other services for their child or young adult with disabilities.

    LD On-line: The world's leading website on learning disabilities and ADHD, serving more than 200,000 parents, teachers, and other professionals each month.

    NICHCY: National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities serves the nation as a central source of information on disabilities in infants, toddlers, children, and youth.

    Military Homefront Special Needs/EFMP: This site includes all enrollment information, toolbox of resources, and worldwide directory.

    Additional Resources For U.S. Military Families, funded by the U.S. Department of Defense and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance, is a free program that allows eligible college and grades K-12 students in U.S. military families to connect to a live tutor online at any time for one-to-one help with homework, studying, test prep, proofreading and more. The service is available at no charge to all grades K-12 students and service members-regardless of whether the service member is serving full-time or part-time-plus some adult dependents on active duty.

    National Parent Teacher Association: An organization dedicated to making a difference in the education, health, and safety of America’s children and youth.

    The Education Trust: Promotes high academic achievement for all students at all levels—pre-kindergarten through college.

    Guide to Online Schools: From K-12 to college, explore online learning modes, hear from experts, and read how Khan Academy and other free resources help students get ahead. Provides overview of joining the military- resources for parents and educators.

    Post Secondary Support Offers students free grade, activities and test score specific profiles and information on hundreds of colleges. Provides student financial assitance resources. VA website for Post 9/11 GI Bill, transferability and Yellow Ribbon. Find schools and ways to pay on FastWEB. The smart student guide to financial aid.

    Academy and ROTC Military Academy Links for West Point , Navy, AF, CG, Merchant Marine. ROTC links for Army, Navy and Air Force.

    Military Scholarship Resources Military scholarship search. DECA scholarships for military children. Fleet Reserve Association. American Military Retirees Association. Veterans of Foreign Wars. Anchor Scholarships Foundation.

    Additional Scholarship Resources College board scholarship search College Net Scholarship database. National Merit Scholarships. Peterson’s Undergraduate Scholarship Search. Princeton Review Scholarships and Aid.

  • Children With Special Needs

    If you have a child with special needs, be sure to enroll him or her in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP). This is a mandatory program for any family member who has special medical, educational, developmental, and/or emotional need or concern. The special need should be identified by a healthcare provider so that you can attend one of the free EFMP Orientation Workshops and get the paperwork necessary for enrollment in the program. EFMP Workshops are conveniently located at various times and locations to accommodate your schedule. For more information, please call the EFMP Coordinator for NAS Fallon. The office is located at Naval Branch Health Clinic Fallon and the number is 775 426-3111. The number for EFMP Navy Headquarters is 866-827-5672.

    Useful Tips

    If you have a child who will be in high school, review the gaining state’s graduation requirements. In particular, familiarize yourself with the school’s grading system and weighted grades (such as AP classes). This may affect your child’s GPA. The state of Nevada high school graduation requirements (and links to Churchill County Schools-Fallon, and Lyon County Schools-Fernley) can be found at the Nevada Department of Education web site.

    Be sure to give the losing school adequate notice of your family’s departure (at least two weeks, if possible).

    Encourage your child to visit the Military Teen/Military Kids on the Move website.

    Easing Your Child's Anxiety About The New School

    • Become familiar with your child’s school before your child’s first day. Give your child as many details as possible about the new school and the surrounding community in order to ease the first day jitters.
    • Help your child establish ways to stay in touch with friends at their previous duty station. This gives him a sense of continuity as he acclimates to the new school environment and makes new friends.
    • Encourage children to talk with their teachers. Getting to know their teachers makes it easier for them to ask for help. If you have a young child, make a point of meeting the new teacher personally.
    • Talk to your children about their school experiences. Encouraging your child to talk about his frustrations in her new learning environment provides her with a healthy forum for expression.
    • Encourage your child to join extracurricular activities such as clubs or school organizations. This is a positive, productive way to meet people with shared interests.
    • If school work is challenging, talk to your child’s teacher. Children should not wait until they are overwhelmed to voice their concerns. This is a good way to model positive interaction with the teacher.
    • Finally, do not hesitate to contact your local School Liaison Officer. We are ready and willing to help you with every phase of your school transition!
    • Visit the Fleet and Family Support Center at NAS Fallon.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    What is a School Liaison and how can they help me?

    School Liaison Officers (SLO) help by providing you with educational information on your new area (based on residence) and link you up with a SLO in your next duty station if you are leaving NRSW. SLOs also offer resources on deployment support, are the liaison between command, schools and military families, work with commands and schools on the Partnership in Education program, can help families navigate the special needs programs in districts, and offer information and support for Home School and Post Secondary preparation.

    How do I choose a school?

    We know the importance of choosing a school that best meets the needs of your military child(ren). Even though we are unable to make direct recommendations for schools, we are available to help you acquire information and research the schools in Metro San Diego and within NRSW. We can provide overall information on districts as well as help you determine what schools you might be mapped to once you have a residence.

    What are the health and immunization requirements?

    Immunization and health check up fact sheet for the California Dept of Education can be found at: Once you determine where you will live and what school your child will attend, you should also check with your school to be sure there are no additional district requirements.

    What are the School Registration procedures?

    This depends on what school district you are looking to enroll your child in. We recommend that once you establish residence, that you contact the school directly. However, one thing you can do to prepare is to use the Checklist for School Moves to ensure that you hand carry all necessary documents.

    What do I do if I’m on a housing wait-list or am in temporary housing?

    MMost military housing areas and school districts within school boundaries of military housing are familiar with this situation. We recommend that you ask your local housing office for a letter indicating that you are on the waitlist, and will be moving into housing within 30 days. Most times this is all the schools need to proceed with registration. If you have questions or issues, please contact your SLO.

    What is the Interstate Compact and what can it do for my family?

    The Interstate Compact seeks to make transition easier for the children of military families so that they are afforded the same opportunities for educational success as other children and are not penalized or delayed in achieving their educational goals. More information can be found at:

    What options are there for before and after school care?

    Before and After school care is something that has created a challenge for some families given the lack of availability. We recommend that you start looking for care early! As soon as you arrive and have registered your child in school, begin by asking your school or district what they offer. This is many times the best option, particularly if they offer on site care. If they don’t, many times the school will know what is available close to the school or in your community. If you are still having difficulty, contact your School Liaison Officer and they will work with you to try to find other options.

    What do I do if I’m moving with a child with special needs?

    In the Navy, your School Liaison Officer can help you with the special needs navigation of the school or district that you are planning to send your child(ren) to. You should also contact the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) to ensure that you are enrolled and that you have all information and resources that they offer. * Please note that the Marine Corps School Liaisons do not assist with Special Needs navigation. They have an EFMP that covers both medical and educational assistance. This is important to know in NRSW, and especially in Metro San Diego since we work jointly to serve our military families.

    Can School Liaison Officers advocate in an IEP for my child?

    The Navy School Liaisons are not able to advocate on your behalf. In our program, we offer information, resources and help you find the right people to talk to at the school or district. If you ever have issues with your IEP or school, please call your School Liaison since we also have many community resources that can offer guidance and direct assistance.