School Liaison Officers

  • SLOSchool Liaisons specialize in creating connectivity between the military, families, school systems and the community to assist with the unique challenges military children face including: school transition, deployments, differences in curriculum between stateside and overseas schools, and Department of Defense Schools and civilian schools.

    School liaisons can assist with:

    • Inbound/outbound school transfers
    • Questions about school enrollment options
    • Information about local schools and boundaries
    • Helping families understand and navigate the special education process
    • Resources for college readiness
    • Installation, School, and Community Communications
    • Deployment Support
    • Home-School Linkage, Support
    • Partnerships in Education
    • Agency referrals and much more!

    ..And much more!

    School Liaison Officers are available to assist all service members and their families with school-related questions. Please see the Directory on this webpage for contact information or for program updates and assistance, visit our

    Why School Liaison Officers?

    • Families move an average of every 2.9 years
    • Children attend up to 9 different schools by graduation
    • Families experience increased stress related to deployment during wartime

    Core Services

    • School Transition Services (PCS Cycle): School Liaison Officers assist families with school transfers and help “level the playing field” for military children and youth.
    • Deployment Support: School Liaison Officers connect educators with the Navy deployment support system to inform them about the cycles of deployment and the tools available to assist educators in working with Navy children.
    • Command, School, Community Communications: School Liaison Officers serve as subject-matter experts for installation commanders on K-12 issues, helping to connect command, school and community resources.
    • Home School Linkage and Support: School Liaison Officers assist Navy families by gathering and sharing information on home schooling issues, policies and legislation from local school districts. They also help leverage Navy Child and Youth Programs resources to support these families.
    • Partnerships in Education (PIE): PIE creates a volunteer network of resources to support installation and community members who have a vested interest in the success of all youth.
    • Post-Secondary Preparations: School Liaison Officers leverage installation and school resources to provide graduating military students with access to post-secondary information and opportunities.
    • Special Needs System Navigation: School Liaison Officers provide information about installation and community programs and services, make referrals to the Exceptional Family Member Program, and offer assistance in navigating the administrative systems within local education agencies.

  • Academic Anchor

    Academic AnchorAcademic Anchor is Navy Region Southwest's bimonthly School Liaison Newsletter. It addresses educational issues that affect military children in our region and provides information about upcoming events.

  • School Resources

    Military families moving to or from NAS Lemoore can contact the NAS Lemoore School Liaison Officer to obtain information on education options including district boundaries, academics, inter-district transfer policies, graduation requirements, before and after school programs and more. The SLO works with parents and schools to ensure smooth transitions and immediate connections for military-connected students.

    Students living onboard NAS Lemoore attend Akers Elementary (K-8) or Neutra Elementary (K-5). These schools are both located on base and belong to the Central Union School District. High school students living onboard NAS Lemoore are bused to schools in the Lemoore Union High School District: Lemoore High, Lemoore Middle College High or Jamison Continuation High.

    A complete list of all the school districts in the Lemoore and Hanford area can be found at Kings County School District web site. School attendance is based on residential boundaries. Attendance outside residential boundaries is covered by each districts’ policies regarding residency based on employment, intra-district/open enrollment, inter-district/reciprocal agreement transfers and charter school enrollment. Because school attendance is tied to residential boundaries, it is recommended parents learn more on specific districts’ policies before deciding on a home.

    For more information regarding transfer options, please contact your School Liaison Officer at 559-998-2242 or the school district office of residence.

    How to Ensure a Smooth Move

    California Department of Education

    Visit the California Department of Education website for information on pending legislation in education, School Accountability Report Cards (SARC), California Content Standards and much more.

    For Testing and Accountability visit the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) score reports and information for schools, districts and counties.

    Lemoore School Resources

    • Kings County School Districts: Links to the 13 school districts in the Lemoore area.
    • Tulare County School Districts: School districts in the Visalia, Tulare and surrounding areas.
    • Ed-Data: Access fiscal, demographic and performance data on K-12 California Public Schools.
    • Includes school finder based on state or military installation, blog, library, state education resources and “Ask Aunt Peggie”.
    • Search for public and private schools and resources for parents.
    • DoDEA: The Department of Defense Educational Activity instructional program provides a comprehensive pre-kindergarten through 12th grade curriculum overseas and at select locations in the continental U.S.

    Special Education

    Public school districts in California provide special education services to children ages 3 – 21. The primary tool schools use to maintain special education services when children change schools is the Individual Education Plan (IEP). An IEP is a legal document that follows a child from school-to-school and state-to-state. An IEP is used to provide services to children and Military families should include their child’s IEP and supporting documents in their hand-carry items during PSC moves. For a complete list of documents to hand carry please download the “Checklist for School Moves” located above.

    A copy of the IEP should be provided to schools at registration for school age children. Parents of children who are not yet school age, but have an IEP should provide their child’s IEP to their local school district. The Special Services/Special Education Department at public school districts can provide more information to parents. Contact the NAS Lemoore School Liaison Officer at 559-998-2242 for more information.

    Parents remain the first and primary advocates for the rights and needs of their children with special needs. The School Liaison Officer can offer support to special-needs families by providing access to information about programs and services, referring families to special education professionals, and helping families navigate the administrative systems within local education agencies.

    Navy EFMP: If you have a child with special needs, be sure to enroll him or her in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP). This is a mandatory program for any family member who has special medical, educational, developmental, and/or emotional need or concern. For more information on EFMP, please call the FFSC EFMP Coordinator for NAS Lemoore 559-988-2745/DSN: 949-2745. The office is located in the Fleet and Family Service Center. EFMP paperwork is filed at Naval Hospital Lemoore 559-998-4440 / DSN: 949-4440 and the number for EFMP Navy Headquarters is 866-827-5672. Instantly locate proven strategies, helpful tools, special education law, federal statutes/regulations and more - with the online solution thousands of your colleagues already rely on. Username: navysand; password: navystaff

    ECHO: The Extended Health Care Option is a supplemental program to the basic TRICARE program. ECHO provides financial assistance for an integrated set of services and supplies to eligible active duty family members, including family members of activated National Guard or Reserve members.

    Special Education Resources: Federal and state legislation, laws, regulations, policies, legal advisories, and guidance.

    California Department of Education: Special Education Parent Helpline: 1-800-926-0648

    LD On-line: The world's leading website on learning disabilities and ADHD, serving more than 200,000 parents, teachers, and other professionals each month.

    NICHCY: National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities serves the nation as a central source of information on disabilities in infants, toddlers, children, and youth.

    Military One Source: Offers special education assistance and resources including toolkits, family support, relocation, financial, legal and other special education resources. Military OneSource also provides 60-minute consultations, up to 12 times a year, with a Special Needs Specialty Consultant. 1-800-342-9647.

    Military One Source Parent Tool Kit: Birth to 18.

    Operation Autism: Directly supports U.S. military families touched by autism and autism spectrum disorders.

    TRICARE Behavioral Health Care Services: Eight outpatient visits without a referral per year (Oct. 1 – Sep.30), must see a TRICARE network provider for zero cost. 1-866-651- 4970.

    Services for Infant Children

    Please contact the FFSC EFMP Liaison at 559-998-2745 for a list of local services available to children ages birth until 3 years old who have an Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) and for local agencies who offer free developmental screenings.


    For more information about homeschool please visit our dedicated resource page.

    College & Career

    Preparing for life after high school can be a daunting process for high school students and their families. The NAS Lemoore School Liaison is available to help families and high school students navigate the requirements for college applications, financial aid, scholarships, Veterans’ education benefits for children and career planning.

    Scholarships & Financial Aid

    There are many scholarship search engines online. Applicants should beware of scholarship scams when searching for scholarships. Other than, scholarships should do not ask for Social Security Numbers. Application deadlines will vary.

    Academy and ROTC Military Academy Links for West Point , Navy, AF, CG, Merchant Marine. ROTC links for Army, Navy and Air Force.

    Branch of Service Contact Information
    Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
    Hanford Recruiting Office
    Address: 1560 W Lacey Blvd
    Hanford, CA 93230
    United States Navy Phone: 559-584-6321
    United States Marine Corps Phone: 559-583-1019
    United States Army Phone: 559-582-9561
    United States Coast Guard Recruiting
    Address: 3749 West Shaw Ave. STE A
    Fresno, CA 93711
    Phone: 559-221-6600

  • Youth Sponsorship

    Request a Youth Sponsor for your child at NAS Lemoore! Sometimes when you move to a new place, it can feel overwhelming because no one knows you and you know no one. Youth Sponsorship means you will know someone! Youth Sponsors know what it is like to move and they have been in your shoes. Contact your NAS Lemoore SLO at 559-998-2242 or email for more information on this great program.

    Additional Resources

    • Are you a service provider looking for a program or service across all installations? Simply select the program or service and then choose any installation or enter any zip code. A downloadable directory for all installations will be available on the results page.
    • For U.S. Military Families, funded by the U.S. Department of Defense and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance, is a free program that allows eligible college and grades K-12 students in U.S. military families to connect to a live tutor online at any time for one-to-one help with homework, studying, test prep, proofreading and more. The service is available at no charge to all grades K-12 students and service members-regardless of whether the service member is serving full-time or part-time-plus some adult dependents on active duty.
    • School Liaison Officer on Facebook
    • Lemoore Community Support Programs on Facebook
    • California Department of Education
    • NAS Lemoore
    • NAS Lemoore Youth Programs: School-age care, Teen Center and Youth Sports
    • City of Lemoore
    • City of Hanford
    • Military Youth on the Move: Age appropriate information for military students as they transition.
    • Operation Homefront California: Support for Military members and their families.
    • Operation Purple Camps : Created in 2004 to help military children struggling with having a parent deployed. The free summer camps are offered in several locations and are open to any military child; however, priority is given to those children who have a parent/guardian or family household member deployed.

  • Navy School Liaison Officer

    Facility Contact Information
    NAS Lemoore School Liaison Officer Base: NAS Lemoore
    Bldg: 737
    Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 am-4:30 pm
    Phone: 559-998-2242
    DSN: 949-2242
    FAX: 559-998-4892

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    What is a School Liaison and how can they help me?

    School Liaison Officers (SLO) help by providing you with educational information on your new area (based on residence) and link you up with a SLO in your next duty station if you are leaving NRSW. SLOs also offer resources on deployment support, are the liaison between command, schools and military families, work with commands and schools on the Partnership in Education program, can help families navigate the special needs programs in districts, and offer information and support for Home School and Post Secondary preparation.

    How do I choose a school?

    We know the importance of choosing a school that best meets the needs of your military child(ren). Even though we are unable to make direct recommendations for schools, we are available to help you acquire information and research the schools in the Lemoore area and within NRSW. We can provide overall information on districts as well as help you determine what schools you might be mapped to once you have a residence.

    What are enrollment options?

    The Open Enrollment Act, SBX5 4 (Romero), was signed into law on January 7, 2010, and became effective on April 14, 2010. The Open Enrollment Act provides students enrolled in one of the 1,000 "low-achieving" schools, hereinafter referred to as "Open Enrollment" schools, the option to enroll in a different school with a higher Academic Performance Index (API) than the pupil's school of residence. For more information on the Open Enrollment Act in the State of California, go to For NRSW District specific information; contact your School Liaison Officer.

    What are the health and immunization requirements?

    Immunization and health check up fact sheet for the California Dept of Education can be found at: Once you determine where you will live and what school your child will attend, you should also check with your school to be sure there are no additional district requirements.

    What are the School Registration procedures?

    This depends on what school district you are looking to enroll your child in. We recommend that once you establish residence, that you contact the school directly. However, one thing you can do to prepare is to use the Checklist for School Moves to ensure that you hand carry all necessary documents.

    What do I do if I'm on a housing wait list or am in temporary housing?

    Most military housing areas and school districts within school boundaries of military housing are familiar with this situation. We recommend that you ask your local housing office for a letter that indicates that you are on the waitlist. Most times this is all the schools need to proceed with registration. If you have questions or issues, please contact your SLO.

    What is the Interstate Compact and what can it do for my family?

    The Interstate Compact seeks to make transition easier for the children of military families so that they are afforded the same opportunities for educational success as other children and are not penalized or delayed in achieving their educational goals. More information can be found at:

    What options are there for before and after school care?

    NAS Lemoore Youth Services offers School Aged Care (SAC), before and after school, for students attending Akers and Neutra Elementary schools onboard NAS Lemoore. Transportation is provided. Families can contact Youth Services at 559-998-4244 for more information. Most schools located off base offer after-school programs. Check with your local school for more information.

    What do I do if I’m moving with a child with special needs?

    The NAS Lemoore School Liaison Officer can help you with the special education navigation process. Hand carrying your child's IEP and any supporting documents is the key to a successful PCS move for children receiving special education services. Please contact your school's special education/services department for copies of these documents prior to your move if you do not have these documents at home. Contacting the NAS Lemoore Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) coordinator at 559-998-2745 will ensure you are enrolled and have all information and resources available.

    Can School Liaison Officers advocate in an IEP for my child?

    The Navy School Liaisons are not able to advocate on your behalf. In our program, we offer information, resources and help you find the right people to talk to at the school or district. If you ever have issues with your IEP or school, please call your School Liaison since we also have many community resources that can offer guidance and direct assistance.