Vacancy Announcement Number: OC-SW-143
Job Title, PPlan, Series, & Grade: Carpenter, NA-4607-09
Location: Various Locations in the San Diego Commuting Area
Rate of Pay: $17.54 Per Hour or Appropriate Step
Opening Date: 30 July 2012
Closing Date: Open Continuous- Open Until Filled
Area of Consideration: All Sources- Relocation Expenses Not Authorized
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: This position is located in the Maintenance Division of the Morale, Welfare, and Recreation Department in the Navy Region Southwest. The primary purpose of the position is to construct, alter, maintain, and repair buildings, structures, partitions, panels, tool cabinets, bookcases, and work benches utilizing wood, wood substitutes and composite building materials. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Must have three and one-half years of experience in carpentry
• Ability to interpret and check plans, blueprints, and sketches
• Ability to compute, check and insure the consistency of the dimensions of a number of inter-locking parts; makes templates and patterns; select appropriate machines, tools and techniques
• Knowledge of wood and wood substitute materials and construction techniques
• Ability to construct, alter, repair, and install windows, walls, concrete forms, counter tops, and other items
• Ability to draw accurate sketches to specifications including accurate measurements
• Ability to interpret and apply building plans and blueprints, use shop mathematics, and lay out such things as angles, arcs, and circles
• Knowledge, ability and skill in using a wide range of tools and machinery
• Knowledge of various properties and characteristics of a variety of wood materials
• Ability to communicate effectively with others.
• Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
• Must have a current driver’s license
• Must meet Federal Employment suitability requirements and successful completion of background investigation. Background Investigations are conducted using fingerprint identification and completion of background inquiry forms.